COLUMBIA, S.C. – The No. 12 Texas A&M women’s basketball team was unable to get by No. 1 South Carolina, falling 60-52 at Colonial Life Arena in both team’s regular season finale. Junior guard Kayla Wells led the Aggies with 15 points, and the nation’s fourth leading rebounder, N’dea Jones, posted a game-high 12 boards.
Play was close to start, but a four-minute scoring drought for A&M (22-7, 10-6 SEC) allowed the Gamecocks (29-1, 16-0 SEC) to pull away and hold a 19-12 lead by the end of the period. Neither team was able to get much going in a low-scoring second quarter that saw South Carolina take a 31-22 lead into the break.
The Aggies were able to get back within six early in the third quarter, but a quick 8-0 run by South Carolina pushed the difference back to double figures by the media timeout. A&M never backed down and was able to get back within single digits in the final minute, but the deficit was too much to overcome.
- The Aggies forced South Carolina to shoot just 37-percent from the field, holding its opponent below 40-percent for the 17th time this season.
- A&M used a starting lineup of Shambria Washington, Aaliyah Wilson, Kayla Wells, N’dea Jones and Ciera Johnson for the ninth time this season.
- Junior guard Kayla Wells scored in double figures for the 22nd time this year as she led the way with 15 points.
- Junior guard Chennedy Carter extended her double-digit scoring streak to 61 games after a 12-point effort at South Carolina.
- Junior forward N’dea Jones finished with 12 boards, recording double figure rebounds for the 23rd time this season.
- Junior guard Aaliyah Wilson added 10 points against the Gamecocks, reaching double figures in the category for the third straight game.
Texas A&M awaits the release of the 2020 SEC Tournament bracket for seeding in the event that runs Wednesday, March 1 through Sunday March 8. Check back at 12thMan.com for updates.
Story courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics