Bryan Fire and Police Overcome Obstacles To Rescue A Man Inside A Burning Home

Bryan firefighters and police had some obstacles dealing with a house fire Monday morning just after 5 a.m on West 16th between Sims and Highway 21.

According to assistant fire marshal Gerald Burnett, police officers were at the door coaching the resident to stay on the floor due to the smoke until firefighters found him.

Burnett said the occupant was separated from his keys to unlock burglar bars and firefighters had to force their way into the home.

After the man was rescued, he was taken to the hospital where he was treated and released for undisclosed injuries. There was no report of any firefighter injuries.

The cause of the fire was traced to a failed power strip. The home had no working smoke alarms.

Burnett said “this fire serves as a reminder to test your smoke alarms, practice your escape plan, eliminate complex locks or obstructions from your exit path where possible, and check your electrical cords for wear, damage, or overloading.”