ATHENS, Ga. (AP) Anthony Edwards recorded a double-double with 29 points and a career-high 15 rebounds to lead Georgia past Texas A&M 63-48 on Saturday,
The Bulldogs snapped a four-game losing streak.
Edwards had eight points in a 15-6 run to open the second half, giving Georgia (12-9, 2-6 Southeastern Conference) its first double-digit lead. He added a breakaway power jam with less than three minutes remaining, stretching the lead to 59-42.
Wendell Mitchell led Texas A&M (10-10, 4-4) with 13 points. The Aggies’ streak of three straight SEC road wins was snapped.
It was Edwards’ second career double-double – and his second in as many games. He had 23 points and 10 rebounds in Georgia’s 72-69 loss at Missouri on Tuesday night.
A drive to the basket by Edwards gave Georgia a 22-21 lead, and Sahvir Wheeler’s layup before time expired pushed the advantage to three points at 24-21.
Edwards sank two 3-pointers and added a reverse layup as the Bulldogs opened the second half with a 15-6 run, stretching their lead to 39-27.
Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams called two timeouts in less than 90 seconds in attempts to slow Georgia’s momentum.
Texas A&M’s Quenton Jackson fouled out with 10:06 remaining in the game, only seven seconds after collecting his fourth foul. Jackson had seven points.
Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Georgia 63, Texas A&M 48
Stegeman Coliseum (Athens, Georgia)
RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
- Texas A&M fell to Georgia, 63-48, Saturday afternoon to move to 10-10 (4-4 SEC) on the year.
- The Aggies are now 4-5 all-time against the Bulldogs.
- The Aggies forced 20 turnovers, which matched their season high previously set against ULM on Nov. 11.
- Texas A&M used the starting lineup combination of Savion Flagg, Emanuel Miller, Wendell Mitchell, Andre Gordon, and Josh Nebo for the 10th time this season (5-5).
- Wendell Mitchell led the team in scoring for the second-consecutive game with 13 points. Mitchell recorded a team-high three steals.
- Andre Gordon scored in double figures (10) for fifth time in conference play. Gordon is second on the team in scoring in SEC action at 11.0 points per game.
- Savion Flagg led the Aggies in rebounds with seven. It marked the fifth time this season and 23rd time in his career he has paced Texas A&M on the glass.
- Flagg also led the team with four assists for the eighth-straight game.
- Buzz Williams is 10-10 in his first season at Texas A&M and 263-165 in his 13 seasons as a head coach.
The Aggies return to Reed Arena for an 8 p.m. matchup Tuesday against Missouri.
Story courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics