Women’s Basketball Posts NCAA Tournament Record Comeback, Defeats Penn In NCAA First RoundFeatured Stories, Sports Sunday, March 19th, 2017
LOS ANGELES- Texas A&M used a 25-1 run to make an NCAA Tournament record 21-point comeback to defeat Penn 63-61 in the First Round of the 2017 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament inside Pauley Pavilion on Saturday.
Down 58-37 with 8:57 to play, the five-seed Aggies (22-11) rattled off their 25-1 run, holding the Quakers (22-8) without a field goal in that span. Khaalia Hillsman, who had a career-high 27 points, put the Aggies ahead 60-59, Texas A&M’s first lead since the first quarter, with 19.1 seconds to play.
The 12-seed Quakers made five of their seven 3-pointers during the first half, shooting a blistering 54.5 percent beyond the arc in the first half, jumping out to a 36-24 halftime lead.
The Aggies’ 21-point comeback matches the largest in school history, a 21-point comeback against Seton Hall on Nov. 29, 2003, Gary Blair‘s fourth game as Texas A&M head coach.
Curtyce Knox, with eight assists, became the first Texas A&M and first Southeastern Conference player to record 300 assists in a season, and has 303 assists on the season.
The Aggies return to action in the NCAA Second Round on Monday, March 20, taking on host and 4-seed UCLA at 9 p.m. on ESPNU.
- Texas A&M had the largest comeback in NCAA Tournament history, erasing a 21-point fourth quarter deficit due a late 25-1 run
- It matches the largest comeback in Texas A&M history, set against Seton Hall in 2003-04
- The Aggies are now 22-11 on the season
- Texas A&M is now 23-12 in the NCAA Tournament all-time, including a 11-3 mark in the First Round
- Gary Blair is now 739-303 in his Hall of Fame career, tying Debbie Ryan for 12th all-time in career wins. He is 35-21 in the NCAA Tournament. He is 330-140 in 14 seasons at Texas A&M
- Khaalia Hillsman had a career-high 27 points, including the go-ahead basket with 19.1 to play
- She scored 20+ points for the 10th time this season
- She scored in double digits for the 31st time this season and 44th time in her career
- Curtyce Knox became the first Texas A&M and first SEC player to record 300+ assists in a season, with 303 on the season
- Anriel Howard had 10+ rebounds for the 23rd time this season. She has 13+ rebounds in all three of her career NCAA Tournament games
- Danni Williams scored in double figures for the 30th game this season
Story courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics
Short URL: http://wtaw.com/?p=114046