Home » News » Update: Life Support Removed From Ft. Worth Woman

Update: Life Support Removed From Ft. Worth Woman

Sunday update:

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) _ The body of a brain-dead, pregnant Texas woman was removed from life support Sunday after a Fort Worth hospital agreed to follow a judge’s order siding with the woman’s family.

Here are comments from both John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth and attorneys for the husband of the woman, Marlise Munoz:

“The past eight weeks have been difficult for the Munoz family, the caregivers and the entire Tarrant County community, which found itself involved in a sad situation. JPS Health Network has followed what we believed were the demands of a state statute. From the onset, JPS has said its role was not to make nor contest law but to follow it. On Friday, a state district judge ordered the removal of life-sustaining treatment from Marlise Munoz. The hospital will follow the court order.”

_ JPS Health Network, in statement issued by spokeswoman J.R. Labbe.


“Our client, Erick Munoz, has authorized us to give notice that today, at approximately 11:30 a.m. central time, in accordance with the order of the 96th District Court of Tarrant County, Texas, issued Friday, January 24, 2014,
Marlise Munoz’s body was disconnected from `life support’ and released to Mr. Munoz. The Munoz and Machado families will now proceed with the somber task of laying Marlise Munoz’s body to rest, and grieving over the great loss that has been suffered. May Marlise Munoz finally rest in peace, and her family find the strength to complete what has been an unbearably long and arduous journey.”

_ Heather King and Jessica Hall Janicek, attorneys for Erick Munoz.

Original story:

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) _ For two months, Erick Munoz has sat inside a North Texas hospital room with his wife’s brain-dead body, with what would be their second child together growing inside her.

Now a judge has ruled that the hospital must follow Munoz’s wishes and disconnect Marlise Munoz from life support. The hospital has refused to remove life support in hopes of saving the fetus inside her.

The judge’s ruling Friday could allow Erick Munoz to bury his wife and move forward to care for their son and his relatives.

It would also mean the fetus would never be born.

Judge R. H. Wallace Jr. gave John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth until 5 p.m. CST Monday to remove life support. The hospital did not immediately say Friday whether it would appeal.

Short URL:

Posted by on Jan 26 2014. Filed under News.
Listen Live to WTAW 1620

Unable to display Facebook posts.
Show error

Error: (#4) Application request limit reached
Type: OAuthException
Code: 4
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.

© 2018 WTAW. All Rights Reserved. Log in -