Home » Sports » Consol Boys Soccer Team Loses to Kingwood in Shootout

Consol Boys Soccer Team Loses to Kingwood in Shootout

Story by David Campbell at

HOUSTON — Diving stops on the first two penalty kicks by Humble Kingwood goalkeeper Jack DiSorbo were the springboard for a 4-1 shootout advantage, ending A&M Consolidated’s soccer season in the boys regional quarterfinals Tuesday at the Berry Center.

After playing to a 1-1 tie in regulation and with no goals in the two overtime periods, Kingwood connected on all four of its penalty kick attempts in the shootout. Connor Hartung drove his game-winner into the right side of the net for the insurmountable three-goal advantage, and the Mustangs clinched a trip to the Class 5A Region II tournament.

“It was an even game for the 80 minutes, and we created a lot more chances,” Consol coach Stefano Salerno said. “The kids put their heart in this game again. They knew that Kingwood was going to be a tough game. The kids played well.”

In a game that opened up in the second half,  Consol finally broke through with the first goal. A long lead pass by Shay Williams went to Daniel Zivney, who was free on the left side and wasted no time chipping the ball over DiSorbo with 13:48 left in regulation.

“I didn’t do anything,” Zivney said. “I just put one foot on it, didn’t have to dribble or anything. Shay gave it to me, and I just popped it in the corner.

“Most of the time, I don’t even take a touch. They are such good balls, I just shoot them the first time.”

Williams’ footwork had kept the Mustangs guessing all night, but the pass made it pale by comparison.

“I just saw Zivney with so much space away from the tall defender,” Williams said. “Joe [Decker] and I were like, well we might as well try it. “I played it. It got over his head, and it got to Zivney and he got a breakaway and scored. Oh man, I was ecstatic.”

Kingwood pushed forward for the equalizer but got it unexpectedly.

The Mustangs tied it with 8:12 left in regulation on a long popup that Tigers’ keeper Michael Etheridge could not handle. The ball dropped off his hands, and Nikolai Sawka volleyed it in immediately to tie the score 1-1.

The Mustangs had two other great chances to score in the second half.

In the final 10 minutes of play, Etheridge was under siege but stopped four tough shots to set up the penalty kick tiebreaker.

“Michael had a great game with just a blunder on that one,” Salerno said. “He had three or four great saves in the second overtime.”

Kingwood (21-1-4) will play McKinney or North Mesquite in the regional semifinal at 6 p.m. Friday at Round Rock’s Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex. Consol’s season ends with a 16-5-4 record.

Although the Tigers controlled play for much of the match, the Mustangs had chances to end it early. Kingwood’s Esben Pedersen nearly closed it out in regulation with a header that hit the crossbar in the final seconds.

An outstanding defensive play from Etheridge is what gave Consol its chance to win on Zivney’s goal.

With 24 minutes left in the second half, a high corner kick by Kingwood’s Trey Richardson began to bend in thanks to the strong south wind. Etheridge was in front of the ball and jumped back and swatted it forward, preventing a goal and keeping the match even at 0-0.

Three minutes into the second half, the Tigers got a better chance to score than anyone had in the first half. Jacob Ward’s sent a long cross to the left side of the goal and Williams elevated over a defender, but his pressured header just missed to the left. Daniel Zivney followed minutes later with a shot on goal.

On a counterattack, Hartung got free for Kingwood for a shot from the right side but hit too softly.

With 34 minutes left in the first half, Ward got off a strong left-footed shot low, but DiSorbo, on the edge of the goal, cradled it. With 26 minutes left, Jordan Fritsche’s long free kick was headed just left of the goal with DiSorbo again in position to bring the ball in.

DiSorbo would return the favor for Kingwood, confidently grabbing a long throw from Ward just outside of the Mustangs’ goal

Ward  had another chance, squeezing through two defenders, but his shot attempt was deflected away for a corner kick.

Etheridge made sure that a good setup never became a threat on a long throw-in by the Mustangs’ Ricky Gonzales. Etheridge jumped high to grab the ball. Kingwood’s impressive passing did not produce many dangerous plays in the first half, with the Tiger defenders sagging into passing lanes to limit the touches by the Mustangs. Kingwood did get a corner kick late in the half, set up by Hunter Pontiff’s steal, but Etheridge swatted back toward midfield.


Short URL:

Posted by on Apr 10 2013. Filed under Sports.
Listen Live to WTAW 1620

© 2018 WTAW. All Rights Reserved. Log in -