Sequestration Victims May Include Easterwood AirportFeatured Stories, News Friday, February 22nd, 2013
The air traffic control tower at Easterwood Airport may be closed April 1 if sequestration, or automatic federal spending cuts, take effect next week.
Officials at A&M, which operates the airport released the following statement: “We are aware of the report and are assessing the situation. We certainly understand the importance of air service here and will be working with our congressional delegation regarding the matter.”
Congressman Bill Flores of Bryan was asked about sequestration during his last weekly update on WTAW’s The Infomaniacs on February 20.
BillFlores022013seq.mp3WTAW’s Scott DeLucia visits with Bill Flores about sequestration.
WASHINGTON (AP) _ The Obama administration is warning that automatic spending cuts scheduled to take effect March 1 will result in travel delays at major airports and require traffic-disrupting shutdowns of air traffic control towers at smaller facilities. Transportation Secretary Ray La Hood says the across the board reductions will require trimming $600 million this year form the Federal Aviation Administration. La Hood says that will require furloughing air traffic controllers, which in turn will reduce the ability to guide planes in and out of airports. He says travelers could experience 90 minute delays or more in major cities. President Barack Obama has called on Congress to replace the cuts with tax increases and targeted reductions. Congressional Republicans oppose raising more tax revenue.
According to the Federal Times, the following Texas airports may be among the 100 nationwide without air traffic controllers after April 1:
• ACT Waco Regional Waco, Texas
• BAZ New Braunfels Municipal New Braunfels, Texas
• BPT Jack Brooks Regional Beaumont, Texas
• BRO Brownsville/South Padre Island International Brownsville, Texas
• CLL Easterwood Field College Station, Texas
• CNW TSTC Waco Waco, Texas
• CXO Lone Star Executive Houston
• FWS Fort Worth Spinks Fort Worth, Texas
• GGG East Texas Regional Longview, Texas
• GKY Arlington Municipal Arlington, Texas
• GPM Grand Prairie Municipal Grand Prairie, Texas
• GTU Georgetown Municipal Georgetown, Texas
• HYI San Marcos Municipal San Marcos, Texas
• RBD Dallas Executive Dallas
• SGR Sugar Land Regional Houston
• SSF Stinson Municipal San Antonio
• TKI Collin County Regional at McKinney Dallas
• TYR Tyler Pounds Regional Tyler, Texas
• VCT Victoria Regional Victoria, Texas
Short URL: http://wtaw.com/?p=57035