Home » Featured Stories, News » Injured Firemen Take a Walk, Bad Electrical Cord Blamed for Fire

Injured Firemen Take a Walk, Bad Electrical Cord Blamed for Fire

Fire engines from Brenham and San Marcos park across the street from Bryan Fire Station #1 Tuesday afternoon.

Fire engines from Brenham and San Marcos park across the street from Bryan Fire Station #1 Tuesday afternoon.

Applause erupted inside Bryan Fire Station 1 Tuesday afternoon. 

That’s after Fire Chief Randy McGregor said injured firefighters Ricky Mantey Jr. and Mitch Moran stood up, took some steps down the hallway, and had a chance to visit family gathered at the burn center in Galveston.

McGregor said “This is a trememdous step foward. It is a bit of light that is certainly encouraged us through this dark time.”  McGregor also noted “They have a long ways to go, and I ask you continue to pray for these folks and their families.”

The chief said Mantey and Moran had smiles upon seeing family members and being applauded by the entire wing of the burn center. McGregor also noted the injured firemen have been given little information about the Knights of Columbus Hall fire and they weren’t aware of the deaths of Greg Pickard and Eric Wallace.

McGregor also announced the fire started in the kitchen when a failure in an electrical cord ignited something combustible. While declaring the fire was an accident, McGregor repeated it could take six months to determine the sequence of firefighters actions.

KCfire021913McGregor.mp3Comments from Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor, February 19, 2013.

News release 5 p.m. Tuesday 2/19/13 courtesy of the City of Bryan:

Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor held a press conference to provide an update regarding the condition of hospitalized Bryan Firefighters Ricky Mantey and Mitch Moran. Chief McGregor happily reported that the two firefighters were able to stand up and walk a few steps, hug their families and were cheered by everyone in the entire hospital wing.

Chief McGregor also announced the Bryan Fire Department, with assistance from the Bryan Police Department, the State Fire Marshal’s Office, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) determined the February 15 late-night fire at the Knights of Columbus Hall located at 1500 Groesbeck in Bryan, was accidental. Through forensic analysis, interviews, and a comprehensive examination of the scene, the fire has been determined to have started in the area of the kitchen. The fire was caused by the failure of an energized electrical cord. The cord was part of a fan that was located in the bingo hall/dining area. The cord was then strung into the kitchen. The failure of the cord ignited nearby combustibles, causing the fire. The investigation, along with laboratory analysis indicated that no criminal act was committed regarding the fire.

At this point, although the cause of the fire has been determined, a final report from the State Fire Marshal’s Office is not expected for approximately six months. However, Chief McGregor, the Bryan Fire Marshal and the State Fire Marshal wanted to assure the public the fire was accidental.

Click HERE to download the map showing parking areas and closed roads for the memorial service.

KC fireRoad_Closures_Detours

Short URL:

Posted by on Feb 19 2013. Filed under Featured Stories, News.
Listen Live to WTAW 1620

4 hours ago

NewsTalk 1620 WTAW

‪One lane traffic on Highway 6 in Hearne during the noon hour due to street flooding.‬ ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

© 2018 WTAW. All Rights Reserved. Log in -