Home » Sports » Super Bowl Blackout Still Under Investigation

Super Bowl Blackout Still Under Investigation

New Orleans mayor Mitch Landrieu (LAN’-droo) and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL’) both say they don’t think the 34-minute power failure during the Super Bowl will hurt the Big Easy’s chances of landing the 2018 NFL championship game. In an interview Monday with WWL-AM, Landrieu said league owners were impressed with his city’s performance — a sentiment echoed by Goodell at a morning news conference.

But what happened?

The cause of a  blackout at the Super Bowl remains under investigation, but public records released Monday show that Superdome officials were worried about a power outage several months before the big game. An Oct. 15 memo released by the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District, which oversees the Superdome, says tests on the dome’s electrical feeders showed they had “some decay and a chance of failure.” Entergy New Orleans, the company that supplies the stadium with power, and the structure’s engineering staff “had concerns regarding the reliability of the Dome service from Entergy’s connection point to the Dome,” the memo says. Those concerns were due in part to “circumstances that have previously occurred with the electrical service regarding transient spikes and loads.”

Short URL: http://wtaw.com/?p=55752

Posted by on Feb 5 2013. Filed under Sports.

© 2014 WTAW. All Rights Reserved. Log in -