Home » Featured Stories, News » Bryan Fire Department Update

Bryan Fire Department Update

Bryan had several house fires during the holidays, and William Bouse with the Bryan Fire Department wants to remind citizens of small things they can do to help prevent fires.

First, he says candles must be monitored and put in some sort of container that will prevent them from getting to a flammable source.

He says candles started the fire at a South Parker home after the residents went to sleep with the candles still burning.

The candles were too close to a bed and draperies, and caught the draperies on fire.

Bouse says candles should always be put in a safe area and extinguished when they are not being watched.

In addition, if  it’s been a while since you’ve had a fire in your fireplace, Bouse advises you to get your chimney inspected, especially if you have an older home.

Bouse says that certain materials and techniques used for fireplaces and chimneys in the ’70s and early ’80s are causing fires as the chimneys age and deteriorate.

He says the codes were not as strict back then, and there was an open spacing around the fireplaces in which builders were allowed to use some combustible materials.

Bouse says if there is a break in the fireplace flue or in the connection between it and the brickwork, fire can get into those spaces, resulting in structural failure.

He says a home on Rivendell Court caught fire on Christmas Eve because of that kind of structural problem, but getting your fireplace cleaned and inspected by chimney sweeps once a year will help keep your home safe.

He says there were more calls to the fire department in 2012 than in 2011, so remember to be careful anytime fire is involved.

WilliamBouse010313.mp3William Bouse visits with WTAW’s Kat McMullen

 CLICK HERE for a direct link to the Fire Department’s page

Short URL: http://wtaw.com/?p=53828

Posted by on Jan 7 2013. Filed under Featured Stories, News.

© 2014 WTAW. All Rights Reserved. Log in -