Brief Evacuation at Rudder High From a Shop FireFeatured Stories, News Wednesday, September 26th, 2012
A fire at Rudder High School Wednesday afternoon led to a brief evacuation.
Bryan school district spokeswoman Sandy Farris says no one was hurt and classes resumed within 45 to 60 minutes.
Farris says a broken saw blade from the wood shop was hot enough to ignite sawdust. Farris says the wood shop received smoke from the smoldering sawdust fire and smoke from the outside found its way into the school’s ventilation system.
Additional information courtesy of the Bryan school district:
A smoldering fire inside a sawdust evacuation system at Rudder High School prompted the evacuation of students at approximately 1:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. The system is housed outside of the building. The ventilation system pulled smoke into the shop and the smell of smoke was detected inside a small portion of the main building.
The Bryan Fire Department responded and the situation was under control very shortly. Students were returned to the building once the fire was extinguished and smoke cleared. There were no injuries.
Short URL: http://wtaw.com/?p=48905